At the recently concluded Red Dot Awards, Midea won in multiple categories for outstanding product designs. More information about the wins can be found on the Red Dot Awards website.
Singapore, October 26 2017 – Mr Shah Rizal Abdul Razak and his wife were devastated when a fire destroyed the belongings in their four-room flat in Woodlands on Sept 22.
Today, Midea Singapore donated more than $5,000 worth of its state-of-the art smart home appliances to the couple after reading about their plight in media reports. Leading the donated items is system 3 air conditioner, which can cool three rooms and is worth more than $2,600. The next big-ticket item for the couple is a two-door refrigerator that costs $798. The other appliances are a washing machine, a vacuum cleaner, an intelligent rice cooker, and two stand fans.
A vacuum cleaner was also given to their neighbour, Ms Maslindah Sain, who has been appealing to the public to help them tide over their crisis.
Finance Director of Midea Singapore, Mr Davis Weng, said, “We decided to help Mr Rizal refurnish his home after reading about their neighbours calling for the public to help them rebuild their lives. So, we are donating these modern essential items to help them move on with their lives after the unfortunate incident. We hope our contributions would also enhance their lifestyle and offer them conveniences with the innovative solutions of our products, from the rice cooker to the refrigerator. Doing our bit to make lives better for the less fortunate is part of our corporate social responsibility efforts as we build our presence in Singapore.”
A grateful Mr Rizal (age 34), a civil servant, was surprised by Midea’s generous contribution when he received the items for his home at Block 886B Woodlands Drive 50 today. The flat is still undergoing renovations and he looks forward to unpacking the Midea items.
He believes the fire was started after his e-scooter battery exploded. He and his wife, Haryati Ali, were traumatized after losing most of their belongings in the fire which also killed two of their four cats.
Since then, neighbours had come together and donated cash and furniture to the couple as contractors rushed to renovate the damaged flat that was their home for three years.